- Indian Army is all set to open up combat positions for women. India will be among very few countries to do so.
- Initially women will be recruited for positions in military police.
- Until now, women were allowed in a number of select areas including in medical, legal, educational, signals and engineering wings of the Army but combat roles are off limits for them.
- Only countries such as Germany, Australia, Canada, the U.S., Britain, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Sweden and Israel have allowed women in combat roles.
The roles of military police include:-
- Policing the cantonments and Army establishments,
- Prevent breach of rules and regulations by soldiers,
- Maintaining movement of soldiers as well as logistics during peace and war,
- Handling prisoners of war and extending aid to the civil police whenever required.