News:World Chagas Disease Day is being celebrated for the first time on April 14,2020.
- Chagas disease also known as American trypanosomiasis is caused by the protozoan parasite Trypanosoma cruzi (T. cruzi).
- It is classified as a neglected tropical disease(NTD) which means it mostly affects the poorest countries of the developing world.
- Transmission:The main route of transmission is through the insect called triatomine bug which carries the Trypanosoma cruzi.
- Other routes of transmission: oral transmission, blood transfusion, mother-to-child, organ transplantation transmissions or even laboratory accident transmission.
- Distribution: Mexico, Central America, and South America.
- Symptoms: a) Initial Phase: Purplish swelling of the lids of one eye, fever, difficulty in breathing among others b) Later Phase: cardiac disorders, digestive problems, neurological or mixed alterations which can lead to sudden death.
- Treatment: It is curable if treatment is initiated soon after infection.