What is the News?
The World Economic Forum has announced the launch of an Essential Digital Infrastructure and Services Network(EDISON) Alliance.
About Essential Digital Infrastructure and Services Network(EDISON) Alliance:
- Aim: To work towards ensuring global and equitable access to the digital economy.
- How will it ensure equitable access to the digital economy? The alliance will work with governments and industries. It will accelerate digital inclusion and will ensure cross-sectoral collaboration between the technology industry and other critical sectors of the economy.
- Advisory Board: An expert group of Champions Leaders board will advise and support the Alliance. The board will be chaired by Verizon’s Chairman and CEO Hans Vestberg.
- Secretariat: The World Economic Forum (WEF) will serve as the secretariat and platform for the Alliance.
What was the need of the alliance?
- Access to digital technologies has enabled many to work, learn and live during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- However, the pandemic has exposed and exacerbated existing digital gaps and inequalities in the global population.
- Some 3.6 billion people remain offline and broadband services are too expensive for 50% of the population in developed countries. This hampers access to health, education, and economic inclusion.
Source: The Hindu