What is the News?
The Chinese President has proposed for the first time a Global Security Initiative at the Boao Forum for Asia Annual Conference 2022.
What is the Global Security Initiative?
Proposed by: Chinese President
Purpose: It is China’s initiative to make up for the global security deficit and guard world peace and tranquillity.
Focus Areas: The initiative will champion its commitment across six key areas:
– Vision of common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable security and work together to maintain world peace and security;
– Respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries and uphold non-interference in internal affairs.
– Abide by the principles of the UN Charter, reject the Cold War mentality, oppose unilateralism and say no to group politics and bloc confrontation;
– Taking the legitimate security concerns of all countries seriously and opposing the pursuit of one’s own security at the cost of others’ security;
– To peacefully resolve differences and disputes between countries through dialogue and consultation.
– To work together on regional disputes and global challenges such as terrorism, climate change, cybersecurity and biosecurity.
Significance of the initiative: The initiative seeks to counter the U.S. Indo-Pacific strategy and the Quad – the India, U.S., Australia, Japan grouping.
Source: The post is based on the article “Xi’s Global Security initiative to counter Quad Grouping” published in The Hindu on 29th April 2022.